Dr Carolyn Hackworthy worked at Nelson Bay and Salamander Medical Centres for 23 years. For much of this time she was the only female medical practitioner at the practice so developed an interest and gained a wide range of experience in women’s health. She has completed Implanon Insertion & Removal training, Family Planning Sexual & Reproductive Health and Family Planning IUD Insertion training. Dr Carolyn Hackworthy is a member of the Australasian Menopause Society and has co-presented talks at Hunter Post Graduate Medical institute Women’s Health Series.
- 1985 Graduated from Sydney University with MB.BS.
- 2011 – current: Hunter Women’s Health (formerly known as Hunter Women’s Health and Menopause Centre)
- University of Newcastle Health Service
- Surgical Assistant including on roster for assisting at Emergency Caesareans at Newcastle Private Hospital
- 1988-2011: GP at Nelson Bay and Salamander Medical Centres.
- 1988-2005: VMO (Visiting Medical Officer) Nelson Bay Polyclinic
- Carolyn’s major interest outside of medicine in music. She enjoys playing viola with Orchestra Nova locally plus with The NSW Doctor’s Orchestra and was a founding member (when 36 weeks pregnant) of the Australian Doctors’ Orchestra. She also plays percussion with a brass band of which her husband and 3 young adult sons are also members.